The "Shred" in Review

“When diet is wrong, medicine is of no use. When diet is correct, medicine is of no need.” ~Ancient Ayurvedic Proverb 


Every 35 days, your skin replaces itself and your body makes new cells from the food you eat. What you eat literally becomes YOU. This is my why -- This is why Juice Plus is so important to me. I'm among the 75% of Americans who fall short of 5-13 servings of fruits and veggies a day - even when I try my best! Juice Plus bridges the gap between what I should be eating and what I actually eat; it's whole food based nutrition, including juice powder concentrates from 30 different fruits, vegetables and grains. Plus soil erosion has lead to nutrient depletion, so today's grocery store tomato isn't exactly the same as the tomato farmed for Juice Plus, but that's a whole other blog.


Shred 10 was new for me, but as a part of the Juice Plus family, I saw the value. I didn't lose any weight, but I noticed an increase in my energy, especially in the afternoons and my nails are crazy long and thick. I exercised some every day, eliminated gluten and dairy, fudged a little on the 6 o'clock rule (but made healthier snack choices), still had coffee (with rice milk - I was already deprived of it in India, I didn't feel the need to torture myself in that way again) and toward the end, a few pieces of candy: two Dove chocolates one night and a Tootsie-Pop last night.

(Excellent back scratching length) 

 (My real nails!)

The experience was a lot easier than I thought it would be, though I didn't stick by the rules 100%. Day 6-7 were the hardest days for me - not just during the "Shred" but in my recovery thus far. Back when I lived in D.C. I used to go out on a friend's yacht over the weekends. We'd listen to music, drink, dance, swim and have a good time. It's still one of my favorite memories/experiences/things to do. Over this particular weekend, JC (my husband) was asked to DJ on the boat, like he did back then. I could have gone, but knew that while I wouldn't be tempted to drink, I'd be frustrated that I couldn't. Choosing not to go broke me down - I wanted to quit shredding and have a burger, w/ cheese and mayo. Instead, I had a semi-satisfying bun-less burger with pickles, onion, tomato and mustard. Obviously, I'm not a strict vegetarian right now, either ;)

(Glorious boating days)

My brain and body isn't like people who don't suffer from the disease of alcoholism. The toxic substance affects me differently. I've come to accept this fact, but living with it can be challenging, day to day. After feeling the feels, sitting presently with my emotions that arose, I finally found peace and deep connection at the end of the weekend paddle boarding with a new sober soul sister. The last three days of Shred 10 went by quickly. 

(Day 7 of Habit Shredding)

Today, first day post-shred, I feel balanced. I will continue to keep alcohol out of my diet (honestly, that's hard enough for someone with a brain wired to want the substance more than food and water), replace one meal or snack a day with a Complete Shake (I look forward to the shakes! They are such a treat), and I'll be more aware of my sugar, gluten and caffeine intake. Depending on my teaching schedule, I'll try not to eat late. 

Here's some feedback from my family of bad-habit-shredders:
  • "This has actually been a great thing for me. I'm genuinely thinking more of my food choices. That was the whole point." - Shala Hartmann
  • "You are the one that gave me the drive to know that I can do this. 6 o'clock will remain a rule for me, and I'm going to continue to do Shred 10 for another 12 days!" - Rhonda Schuessler
  • My brother in law lost 10 lbs and made it all 10 days with no caffeine! 

If you're struggling to get 5-13 servings of fruits and veggies in daily, you have a kiddo who dodges veggies (it's FREE for kids and comes in chewable, gummy form), or you just want to be your own boss and earn extra income promoting healthy living - I'd be honored and blessed with the opportunity to introduce Juice Plus to you. Shredding other habits is optional ;) 

Love and Light, 
Yogi Brittney



Comments

  1. Brittney, if you are still involved in this, I'm extremely interested and would appreciate knowing how to get in touch with you. I also have great appreciation for you sharing things about your recovery. Me too. Thanks so much, Erika

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello sweet soul! Thanks for stopping by :) I am still doing juice Plus, I’d love to chat about it! Or anything recovery related - xo. Message me @yogabybrittney on FB or IG or email me at yogabybrittney@gmail.com - Big Love sister!!!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Opposite of Addiction

5 Tips on Savoring Time from a Sober Yogi Bride