Start Saying No, and Yes to Yourself

I think it was the Jim Carrey movie, "Yes Man" that first got me thinking about being a "Yes person." The idea is to begin a collection of experiences with positive affirmation, to change your life. The problem though, is that it's actually always been more difficult for me to say, "No."

Just months ago, I decided to give my 8-5 job in finance a big ol' "NOPE!" Anxious all the time, and waking up depressed about going in to work, I decided to really listen to my heart. Why was I so miserable? I had great benefits, a salary that most my age would be excited about, and by all societal standards I should be happy - but I wasn't. Because I wasn't serving my soul. I wasn't doing what I loved or honoring my passions. So I quit. I quit being blamed for my bosses problems and quit the business of other-people pleasing; I quit the benefits, salary and steady hours; I quit ignoring my innermost desires.


I ditched the work dresses for yoga pants and decided to do what really inspires me - teach yoga, full-time. I entered the great unknown. This has led to a new freedom and happiness I can't begin to describe. I'm flowing with the current of my life and not swimming against the stream, clinging to branches along the shore anymore. Sure it's scary at times, but it's also exhilarating. I'm living! I've also gained the confidence and experience necessary to start saying no to others more often, which is really just saying yes to myself.

Some might think this is selfish, but I'm really serving others more, by being more me - by honoring my soul's journey and living in better alignment with my purpose on this planet. Listen to your hearts people. This world needs more love, more joy, more of the real you! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Shred" in Review

The Opposite of Addiction

Struggling with Addiction and Alcoholism