Everything You've Ever Wanted Is On The Other Side Of Fear

It's a rare Strawberry Full Moon and Summer Solstice tonight + This yogi starling is six months sober and clean. Crazy, and cool, but not what this post is about... 

It started here at Jivamukti Yoga School in New York City about a month ago, where I learned to do this pose below, Revolved Hand to Big Toe Pose, or Parivrtta Hasta Padangusthasana.


(Side Note: What a feeling to be in front of this amazing wall of Inspirational Yogis!)

We were in Wheel, or Urdhva Dhanurasana, during class when I saw the girl behind me lower to her forearms and begin to kick her leg up. She fell over and the instructor came running. I thought, "So THAT'S how you get into that dreamy looking pose!" 

I figured since the student behind me took a tumble, I'd likely need a spotter and more practice before ever getting into the posture myself, but a seed was planted. I had drooled over images of other yogis in that asana on Instagram, but didn't think I was quite there yet. 

Then, one day, I decided to have my picture taken while playing around on a retaining wall after a class... back in Urdhva Dhanurasana. 


It wasn't until I saw myself - outside of self - that I realized, my lower spine looks flexible enough for me to lower to my forearms and kick up. It wasn't safe enough to try on the retaining wall, and I was distracted that particular day by my birthday and a trip to see some botanical gardens, so I let the eagerness to try remain inside. 

Fast forward four more days (beyond another discovery I COULD also - actually - do Bird of Paradise Pose, or Svarga Dvijasana {mind blown}). I arrived to teach a morning class at a local Gold's Gym about 30 minutes early, and the room was ice cold. I decided to go sit outside in the toasty grass until it got closer to the start of class. I was already warmed up from teaching my 6:30am Sunrise class, so the idea came to me to try the forearmed version of Eka Pada Urdhva Dhanurasana, amidst the cushiony, fluffy green. To my delight and surprise. I got in to it on the first try. But I couldn't see myself, so I had no idea what it looked liked. Bursting with energy, I went to class and told one of my regular students. She asked me what pose it was... I looked at the hard wood floor a little nervous about smashing my face into it, and tried it again. To my surprise, I did it. Again. Without falling! I hurried home to photograph it so I could see if my alignment was ok, etc. BAM. I am in the asana :) 


In the end, it always amazes me how much we can limit ourselves mentally, how far a little willingness can take me, and how fun it is to grow and try new things. 

The lesson: "Everything you've ever wanted is on the other side of fear." 

(Quote and title credit to George Addair) 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Shred" in Review

The Opposite of Addiction

5 Tips on Savoring Time from a Sober Yogi Bride