5 Things I Wish People Knew About Alcoholism


1. It's a disease classified by The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders. 

The definition of disease is as follows: a disorder of structure or function in a human, animal, or plant, especially one that produces specific signs or symptoms or that affects a specific location* and is not simply a direct result of physical injury.

*The location in this instance being the brain.


2. It can be considered an allergy. 

Definitions of allergy: A) altered bodily reactivity (such as hypersensitivity) to an antigen in response to a first exposure. B) exaggerated or pathological immunological reaction to substances, situations, or physical states that are without comparable effect on the average individual.

According to William D. Silkworth, M.D. a prominent physician who specialized in the treatment of alcoholism, the action of alcohol in alcoholics is the manifestation of an allergy; the phenomenon of craving that develops is limited to this class and never occurs in those who are not afflicted.


3. There is a genetic predisposition. 

These genes are passed on to us by our parents. Among the behavioral traits parents can pass on to their children is a predisposition toward alcohol abuse and addiction. Among those abusing alcohol, people who are genetically predisposed to alcoholism have a higher risk of becoming addicted.


4. I didn't choose this path. 

I believe this is a part of my divine mission, my reason for incarnating - A tool I've been given to help others grow in compassion and openness toward people with differences. It's not some moral deficiency or lack of will power. It's a condition affecting my brain and body, and it's a part of who I lovingly accept I am. Much like I accept my height, hair and eye color.

I consider myself lucky, to have a purpose, and to have found the courage to face my humanness and change the things within my control. I'm grateful to to be gifted a path toward awakening spiritually.


5. People with this disease are as diverse as all humanity. 

This disease does not discriminate against age, race, or social status. I am but one among millions in recovery. I choose to break my anonymity in a vulnerable effort to share my story - and hopefully help someone else who might be suffering to accept that it's ok to be a "Pink Lion."

On this same note, this progressive illness varies in the process of developing or moving gradually towards a more advanced state. I'm fortunate mine progressed quickly, and so, I was able to see, or seek a solution sooner than it may take others to come to terms with.


Comments

  1. Much thanks to you for giving such significant data, and a debt of gratitude is for sharing this Business Promotion system.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The "Shred" in Review

The Opposite of Addiction

5 Tips on Savoring Time from a Sober Yogi Bride