5 Tips on Savoring Time from a Sober Yogi Bride

When you get married, you hear from just about everyone, "enjoy the process" or "enjoy this time" and "enjoy every moment." Tough stuff when planning involves thinking about the future, and when coordination, details, vendors, food, friends, family, rings, and dances all seemingly demand your attention simultaneously.

The same mentality applies though, with stress on the flip-side, when you go on a vacation (or honeymoon in my case); you just want to soak up every second and immerse yourself within every morsel of time... Ego aside, I figured if anyone I knew could really manage this almost ungraspable concept it should be me. So with the weeks prior and days within, I tried my very best, and truly hope to carry out my efforts to be present every day in the same way and share my lessons learned with you.

Life is so short. And the passing of time is relative, as with all things. That's really what remained at the forefront of my mind throughout my wedding planning, wedding day and honeymoon experience. EVERY day matters, every second counts. Not just the little while you can kiss the groom or the minutes spent in ocean hammocks sipping fresh coconut water - though those are certainly sweeter than most, they are fleeting too.


So, how do you make the most of time, exactly? What I've learned in Yoga teacher training, spiritual studies, and with my Mastery of Meditation thus far: To truly enjoy any moment (and all of life therein) one must learn to be here now. The present is where you absorb the vastness and depth each instant really has to offer. When your mind is in the past or the future, you miss the fullness of the moment in time you're really in.

     1. Seek Silence. Meditation and a consistent meditation practice improves mindfulness, overall sensory and spiritual awareness - and helps one to remain calm, focused and collected when distracts are at a premium.

Find a quiet, comfortable seat, spine straight, chin parallel with the floor. Close your eyes. Go within. And listen... What do you hear? What do you smell? See with your minds eye? How do you feel? Why do you feel the way you do? Feeling ansty? Why? Become acutely aware of the way time is passing. Sit. Stay. Become aware of your thinking. Observe your thoughts and how they effect your emotions and behaviors. Start with a minute, then three and try to remain in silence with your thoughts for 20 minutes. Do this daily. Twice Daily. You'll find clarity and tranquility throughout the day most if you practice at sunrise, or when you first wake up. Soon, the space between your continuously arising thoughts will become greater and you will welcome peace of mind. Serenity. Stillness in your head and heart.

     2. If silence is too difficult, bring your attention to your breath. Never under estimate the power of an eyes closed, slow, deep breath... or five. There are also a myriad of breathing techniques in meditation. The Zen technique, for example, is as easy as this: Count your inhale as one, your exhale as two. Bring yourself to a count of ten. If you get distracted or lose count, come back to zero and try again. Repeat. I will try and post more meditation videos (to include one minute meditations) with breath as a tool.

     3. Honor the sunrise. Sun salutations are a "thing" in yoga for good reason. Welcome each day with an open mind and heart. I have always fancied snooze, or a few extra minutes of sleep, but in my recent experience especially, the best way to make the most of each day is rising with the sun, delighting in more of what daylight offers.

     4. Be with people who love you. There is no greater way to spend your time than with loved ones.

     5. Being clean of stimulants like caffeine and mind altering substances like alcohol or marijuana helps too! Nov. 17th 2015 remains the day of my last alcoholic drink and Dec. 19th 2015 the last day I attempted to manage my stress with any (even natural) substance beyond a cup of hot tea, my own head, heart and spirit. Profound insight is revealed to me the more I seek my truths and honor what I believe my higher power and the universe wants for and from me. I am more able to distinguish reality from illusion and enjoy life on life's terms.

Love and light to you all! Namaste, Yogi Brittney


Comments

  1. You are beautiful inside and out. So happy you found JC and are now sharing such your lives together. Love, Mama Clem

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are many yoga centers all over the globe that provide excellent yoga sessions to the people. Yoga mats with designs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The "Shred" in Review

The Opposite of Addiction

Struggling with Addiction and Alcoholism